Friday, December 31, 2010

Happy New Year & Resolutions


Happy New Year to everyone on this side of the international date line. It's going to be a another hot one here - probably around 30C (96F) and with the typical Brisbane humidity. Planning another day lounging around my pool (see left :)), and dozing off the effects of New Year's Eve.
For those on the other side of the planet, I hope the white Christmas is a nice one and you are not too snowed under!
This year I have so many projects I want to start I hardly know where to begin. Choosing where to start will really be the hard part.
My New Year's Resolution is to be productive this year on the writing front, yet to do it in such a way that I maintain the core enthusiasm that made me excited about the projects to begin with.
How about you, what are your New Year Writing resolutions?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

The same resolution I make every year, Pinky: try to write more betterer.

Louise Curtis

Chris McMahon said...

Hi, Louise. May you get betterer and betterer:) I just really want to enjoy myself this year - let myself off the leash a bit.

MataPam said...

Get organized. Finish more and start less. Or at least equal numbers, so I'm not sliding further behind!

Chris McMahon said...

Hi, Matapam. Sounds like a good goal. Maybe if you had some markets in mind for the work it would help to get you motivated? I always get motivated by deadlines for competitions, and other opportunities, like workshops etc.

How about the Angry Robot subs in March?

Kate Paulk said...

Keep the damn house clean so I don't spend every vacation in a cleaning frenzy (instead of a writing frenzy, natch)

Rowena Cory Daniells said...

Hi Chris,

Raining here on New Year's Day.

I think my resolution will be to be a little kinder to myself.

Not superwoman, even if I want to be!

Chris McMahon said...

Hi, Kate. Cleaning instead of writing? That must hurt! All the best for a new year.

Chris McMahon said...

Hi, Rowena. I think you can afford to balance the scales a little with all your recent success:) KRK is a real triumph.

All the best.

Stephen Simmons said...

Resolutions? Bwah haha ha ha ... you funny man ... The Muse comes when she will, with the words she chooses to bring. The two best pieces I've ever written both came as unwelcome interruptions while trying to work on sections of novel that I had carefully planned out. (Amanda has the second of those interruptions on her desk right now ...) I am going to make a serious attempt to carve out more time, more consistently, to sit and WRITE, whatever words the Muse chooses to bring that day. Particularly on weekends -- make myself get up somewhere near the ugly cow-milking hour I get up on work-days, rather than lazing in bed till 8 or later, and get to the keyboard whilst the rest of the household is unavailable to interrupt me.