Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Persistence Pays Off

Artwork by R & D Studios.

My fantasy trilogy, 'The Last T'En', was a finalist in two US awards and won a national Australian award.

Even so, it is possible for an author to be orphaned. The line finishes, the editor moves on, the agent retires and suddenly, even though they've sold internationally, the author has to start all over again.

During this dry patch, I never stopped writing and I read voraciously, trying to work out why I loved certain authors' books.

The more I wrote, the more I was sure I was on the right track. I set out to write the kind of books I wanted to curl up with on a Sunday afternoon, ripping reads that transported me to other worlds, where ordinary people found the inner strength to battle incredible odds.

And now my agent, John Jarrold, ( Go John!) has sold a three book fantasy series.

PRESS RELEASE –THREE-BOOK DEAL FOR AUSTRALIAN FANTASY NOVELIST

John Jarrold has concluded a three-book deal for Australian fantasy writer Rowena Cory Daniells with Christian Dunn of Solaris, the mainstream genre imprint of Games Workshop’s publishing division, BL Publishing. The series is entitled King Rolen’s Kin and the first book, provisionally called BYREN’S BANE, is due for publication in early 2010. The deal is for World English Language rights.

The books follow the lives of three of King Rolen’s heirs, when their kingdom, Rolencia, is invaded by their ancestral enemy, Merofynia. A sweeping fantasy adventure, the narrative explores the eternal questions of ambition, trust and betrayal.

Rowena Cory Daniells first became involved in speculative fiction in 1976. Since then she has run a bookshop, then a graphic art studio where she illustrated children's books, had 6 children in 10 years, sold nearly 30 children's books and a fantasy trilogy (The Last T’En) internationally, established R&D Studios and served on the management committees of state and national arts organisations. She lives by the bay in Brisbane with her husband and children, and has a Masters in Arts (Research).

Contact John Jarrold for further information: e-mail: j.jarrold@btinternet.com phone: 01522 510544.

8th December 2008


Persistence pays off. Keep writing, keep growing as a writer and believe in yourself.



9 comments:

Simon Haynes said...

I just saw the announcement on John's LJ - thats fantastic news and it proves you should never, ever give up.

Unknown said...

That is wonderful news, Rowena. And yes, proof that persistance is vital!

John Lambshead said...

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!
John

Anonymous said...

Hi Rowena, Dave here from South Africa, the only SFF blogger I know about down here. :-) Just wanted to congratulate you on the deal and tell you that I can't wait to read Bk 1! John sent me the press release and I've posted ito on my blog, too. :-) Congratulations! :-)

Rowena Cory Daniells said...

Thanks, Guys.

Writing is a long slow process and there aren't many days like this. So I'm enjoying the moment!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! That's great news.
Kathleen.

Mike said...

Tada! Outstanding.

Hum - how much is written, and how much will be written? Will we follow your trials and tribulations here at the Watering Hole for Inspired Intelligentsia (aka Mad Genius Club)?

Rowena Cory Daniells said...

Good question, Mike.

I suppose I could follow the process through to publication.

Pati Nagle said...

Congrats, Rowena!