Friday, April 3, 2009

A New Book on the Shelves

Pardon my excitement. It's been a few years since I've had a novel on the shelves.

The Betrayal came out last week from Del Rey. Sample chapters are online on the website and at Book View Cafe. I'm delighted, and also a bit frazzled, what with appearances, guest blogging, etc. It's all beginning to blur together, but here are some highlights of First Week Frenzy:

- Friends from around the country reporting they've seen the book on "New Fiction" displays in bookstores

- Meeting a reader at a library talk and discovering I was her "first author" (she'd never met one before)

- Getting asked a lot of interesting questions about my fantasy world-building

- Hearing that a reader stayed up late to finish the novel

- Noticing my husband's computer displaying the map I put up on the novel's website (it didn't get into the book)

- Hearing about readers' favorite characters

- Learning what people like about elves

Probably the funniest thing that happened was that I showed up for a reading at a local library with a scene about vampires hunting, not realizing I'd be reading in the children's section. (My audience was half-and-half humans and teddy bears.)

Next week I have a signing at a local bookstore, and I'm inviting folks to come dressed in ælven attire, with a prize to the best outfit. What other fun things have folks seen/done in conjunction with signings?

4 comments:

John Lambshead said...

Dear Pati

Many congrats!

I will take a trip to the bookshop today!

John

Rowena Cory Daniells said...

Sounds like fun, Pati.

My favourite is when readers complain that they have to stay up all night to finish the book!

Lots of luck with this one.

Pati Nagle said...

Thanks, both!

Unknown said...

Congrats Pati. May you do it so often and succesfully you become jaded with it ;-)

Signings except at cons don't come my way much so no help there...