Monday, April 20, 2009

Wincanton



OK, this is out of sequence but because I am a wild free spirit I intend to do it anyway.

Although I have lived most of my adult life within the London commuter belt, I am actually from the Westcountry surfing town of Newquay in Cornwall. The Lambshead family come from Honeywell Farm, Ilsington, which is on South Darmoor - Hound of the Baskerville Country.

Westcountry people are Southern English but are California to London's new York. In the westcountry, life is a little slower, more laid back and somewhat wacky.

Wincanton is a small Westcountry market town of about 5,000m people. I now live in a village in Kent of about 50,000 people, to put things inperspective. In the Dark Ages it was frontier country and the site where Edmund Ironside defeated the Danes.

Like many English towns, Wincanton is twinned with a French and a German town. However, it is the only town that I know of in England to be twinned with Ankh-Morpork on the Discworld.

In honour of this fact, this year it named new streets Treacle Mine Road, Peach Pie Street etc.

I like the Westcountry.

2 comments:

Rowena Cory Daniells said...

Interesting and fun, John.

My son has every Terry Pratchet book.

John Lambshead said...

He is a genius, the modern PG Wodehouse,
John